ITINERARIES OF PAGOS DEL SHERRY
The Carrascal itinerary offers a spectacular tour of some of the most emblematic vineyard zones in the Jerez Region: Carrascal, Macharnudo and Almocaden, treating us to exceptional panoramic views and picture postcard images of the unique landscapes of the region.
The characteristic and historic vineyard landscapes waiting to be discovered on this itinerary include such treasures as vineyard houses, must houses and farmhouses, traditional constructions that are true symbols of the region and which embellish our landscapes, providing them with the indisputable essence of Andalusian cultural heritage. The San Cayetano vineyard, for example, opened its gates to the hostelry trade during the nineteen seventies and became one of the first “mostos” (vineyard eateries serving must) in a vineyard zone.
The historic importance of the vineyard zones forming the itinerary is due to the excellent quality of the wines produced over the centuries from the grapes of their vines. Pago de Carrascal is one of the best examples of albariza soil in the Jerez Superior Region, where we find such emblematic vineyards as Viña La Canariera, Dos Mercedes and El Corregidor.
Harvest after harvest some of the most important bodegas in the Jerez Region, such as González Byass, Luis Pérez and Williams & Humbert, produce their acclaimed sherries with grapes from the vineyards located in these world famous vineyard zones, or “pagos”.
A lineal itinerary of 15.35 kilometres that can be covered on foot or bicycle.
Puerta Verde de Carrascal
Puerta Verde de Carrascal
|Type of route:
|Estimated hiking time:
|3 h. 10 min.
|Estimated cycle touring time:
|Positive slope 248 mts.
|Maximum: 104 mts. / Minimum: 33 mts.
|Carrascal, Macharnudo Alto y Almocaden
In order to make your itinerary as comfortable as possible and to allow you to enjoy the Pagos del Sherry to the full, here are some recommendations:
- The pleasantly mild climate of the Jerez Region makes it possible to enjoy the destination practically the whole year round. However, in spring and summer it is important to bear in mind the high temperatures of the region. At these times you are recommended to avoid the central hours of the day, when very high temperatures are reached, and to follow the route either early morning or in the evening when temperatures are more pleasurable.
- In spring and summer it is advisable to use sun protection cream and wear a baseball cap, hat or similar as protection from the sun.
- In autumn and winter, and to a lesser extent during spring, it is advisable to bear in mind the possibility of rain and to avoid following the itinerary if these meteorological conditions are forecast, given that a good part of the route takes place on open ground.
- Comfortable light clothing is recommended.
- There are no drinking water points available on the route, so it is advisable to take sufficient water to remain hydrated throughout the itinerary.